Roasted Sweet Potato Soup with Bacon
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 8 cups
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 4 medium sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 (14.5 oz.) cans chicken broth (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup Hungry Jack® Original Syrup
- 6 slices hickory smoked bacon, sliced crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup heavy cream divided
- HEAT oven to 425°F. Coat 15 x 10-inch baking pan with no-stick cooking spray. Peel sweet potatoes. Cut into 3/4-inch cubes. Place on prepared pan. Coat with additional cooking spray. Bake 20 minutes or until fork tender and lightly browned.
- HEAT oil in Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and celery. Saute 15 minutes or until tender. Add broth, water, salt, pepper, thyme and roasted sweet potatoes. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer 10 minutes.
- COOK bacon in large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove with slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- PUREE soup mixture, in small batches, in blender or food processor until smooth. Return to Dutch oven. Stir in syrup until blended. Stir in 1/2 cup cream, if desired. Drizzle individual servings with remaining 1/4 cup cream, if desired. Garnish with bacon.