Chewy Oatmeal Cookies
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 dozen
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 3/4 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- or 3/4 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 1/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- HEAT oven to 375ºF. Coat baking sheets with no-stick cooking spray.
- BEAT shortening, brown sugar, egg, milk and vanilla in large bowl at medium speed of electric mixer until well blended.
- COMBINE flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in small bowl. Beat into shortening mixture at low speed until smooth. Stir in oats, raisins and nuts. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheets.
- BAKE 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet. Remove to wire rack to cool.
- CHOCOLATE OR BUTTERSCOTCH CHIP: Add 1 cup chocolate or butterscotch chips to batter.
- COCONUT: Add 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut.
- MAPLE: Add 1 1/2 teaspoons maple flavoring.
- MAPLE WALNUT: Omit raisins. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons maple flavoring to dough. Frost top of cooled cookies with mixture of 1 (16 oz.) can Pillsbury® Creamy Supreme Vanilla Frosting and 1 teaspoon maple flavoring. Garnish with walnut halves.
- CHOCOLATE-DIPPED: Omit raisins and nuts. Microwave 1 cup Pillsbury® Creamy Supreme Chocolate Frosting 20 to 25 seconds or until smooth and thin. Dip top half of cooled cookie in frosting. Lay on wax paper until firm.